Saturday, December 09, 2006

Pledge to Healthy Eating

'treat your body well and your body will treat you well in old age.' that was the advice given by a PE teacher in jc. and during acp, i remembered telling all the kids and not-so-young kids about leading healthy lifestyles in order to boost their performance in their daily undertakings. in addition, there was a time when i was extremely inspired by the book 'the power of engagement' that i vowed to balance my physical, mental, emotional and spiritual health.


BUT, i had caved under the pressure of the hectic lifestyle in camb that i had seriously compromised my principle to live healthily. for instance, i have been eating 'nonsense' for most of the time. i could eat bread with marmalade for breakfast, lunch, dinner, or cereals for breakfast, lunch, dinner for consecutive days. i think i can cook, as i have been cooking rather successful dishes for cookouts; it's just that i can't be bothered with the hassle of cooking just for myself.


anyway, i have decided to change and start anew- I AM GOING TO COOK MY MEALS! i am going to make sure that i don't eat rubbish anymore. they are detrimental to my weight, my brain, my skin and my mood! i am going to love myself and take care of myself. i know i have to sharpen the saw before undertaking any further responsibilities or duties.


so, feeling motivated, and armed with the rice cooker from my friend, i deliberated a shopping list and went to sains to get fresh groceries. i've got brown rice, an assortment of beans and grains, fresh vegetables (not canned ones) etc. and sweet potatoes, of course.
after 20 mins of eager anticipation watching the bubbling foam in the rice cooker...


tada! a wholesome dinner since a long while:

brown rice with beans, steamed vegetables in cider vinegar (inspired by the salad in paris) and apple. the fragrance of the brown rice reminded me of home... too bad i don't have roast black sesame here.

dinner wasn't exactly yummy because i put in too little water to cook the rice- there were some raw grains in the rice. but it was satisfying to know that i am on the track to healthy living again. keep the spirits up, girl!

No comments: